So far Hughes Industries offers consulting. This is generally in the form of a temporary team member, available during office hours, 4 days a week.
In this time I might be:
- talking through the organisation's problem-space;
- articulating technical and organisational requirements;
- documenting systems;
- coaching team members;
- writing code and building tools.
It is a broad remit. There's plenty of demand for this stuff and could continue indefinitely.
However, there are other options:
- build and manage a product/products that is/are conceived, grown and tended by Hughes Industries;
- take a more specific specialism;
- do something less conventional.
The last option is appealing, it also seems like a good use of the "person" that is Hughes Industries.
There's no reason "other thing" can't be a combination of all the above, repackaged and wrapped in a story that avoids the status quo.
Areas that are being investigated:
- audio on the web;
- browser focused software, with the least possible cloud;
- minimalism, complexity, requisite variety, systems thinking;
- play, fun, expression, personality, truth and decency - particularly in the context of the software industry.